Benton Harbor, Michigan Police Station Information
A general overview of all the annual reported crimes in Benton Harbor, MI is displayed. The data has been arranged to make it easier to find both the gross total of reported crimes and the number of crimes reported per 100,000 people in Benton Harbor, MI. These statistics are further divided into two distinct categories (violent crimes and property crimes) to provide more insight to how prevalent crime is in the area. You’ll find that the rate of crime in Benton Harbor, MI averages 174% higher than the rest of Michigan while the rate of crime on a national scale is 124% higher than. You’ll find that the occurrence of violent crime in Benton Harbor, MI is 389% higher than the average rate of crime in Michigan and 475% higher than the rest of the nation. Similarly, crime involving property stands 120% higher than the remainder of the state of Michigan and 68% higher than the nation’s average. Both of these statistics relate to how safe residents and businesses are while performing everyday activities in the Benton Harbor, MI area.
Facts about crime in Benton Harbor, Michigan:
- The overall crime rate in Benton Harbor is 124% higher than the national average.
- For every 100,000 people, there are 16.88 daily crimes that occur in Benton Harbor.
- Benton Harbor is safer than 2% of the cities in the United States.
- In Benton Harbor you have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
- The number of total year over year crimes in Benton Harbor has decreased by 2%.
The Public Safety department seeks to prevent crime, violence, and fires by educating and building relationships with the community.
Benton Harbor police officers bring these programs to the community:
- K-5 Programs include “Officer Friendly,” an opportunity for their officers to visit classrooms, using videos, coloring books and other teaching tools to help acquaint young people with law enforcement officials.
- Middle School through High School. As members of the Police Athletic League (PAL) (http://www.nationalpal.org) they use their resources to connect youth to mentoring and youth leadership programs.
- Senior Neighbor includes programs to address the unique needs of their senior citizens and to ensure that they are not alone as they face the challenges of advanced age.
- National Night Out (https://natw.org/about). Held annually on the first Tuesday in August, National Night Out is a time when their police officers help build a sense of community and camaraderie on a local level. They join thousands of communities across the nation in hosting special events designed to make their neighborhoods safer, more caring places for everyone.
Benton Harbor Police Department Address:
Daniel E. McGinnis Jr., Director
Department of Public Safety
200 East Wall Street
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Phone: (269) 927-8425
Fax: (269) 927-0294
The goal of the Berrien County Jail Facility Staff is to provide a safe and secure environment for staff and inmates. The Berrien county Jail has a zero tolerance standard for the incidence of inmate rape and sexual related offenses and attempts thereof. We will make the prevention of rape a top priority. We will strictly enforce all federal, state and local laws regarding inmate and or staff sexual misconduct, threats of sexual assault or intimidation. You can help by reporting to any staff members comments or actions that you hear or see that suggest a person has or will be subjected to sexual violations; or presenting a threat to harm themselves or others.
Address 1: 200 E Wall St
City: Benton Harbor
Zip Code: 49022-4420
County: Berrien County
Phone #: 269-927-8414
Fax #: 269-927-0294
Type: Police Departments
Population Served: 12818
Number of Officers: 30